Truth be told, I am sitting on my couch writing this while it pours with rain outside. Hot coffee in my hand it feels only suitable that I am writing about my Fall Makeup Favorites.
I recently bought the NARS Extreme Effects shadow and have fallen in love with it very quickly. It’s the perfect blend of Fall colors. I love buying from Hudsons Bay because you always receive a bunch of freebies with your order, making it that much more exciting. This time around I got a free eyeshadow primer from NARS and a whole goodie bag from Clinique!
The palette itself is just stunning. NARS is hands down one of my favorite high-end brands. The quality of the shadows are pigmented, yet apply buttery soft.
Along with my NARS eyeshadow, I’ve been obsessed with the NYX Soft matte lip creams. My go-to shades right now are Copenhagen and Stockholm. I had to re-stock these shades because I ran out of my selection from last year. I know this might be different from other opinions, but I really like how light they feel on the lips after they dry. I dont like how some liquid lipsticks feel thick and chalky. These are an absolute dream to wear.
Those colours though! Such a fall aesthetic 😍
Also I’ve been looking at Tik Tok lately… Should I use it? Am I missing out if I don’t?
I feel like it’s going to be something where I don’t like it at first, and then suddenly I’ve fallen deeply into it and totally obsessed. I am still not entirely sure how to use it.
Anyway, TGIF everyone! What are your plans this weekend?
I’m going to carve pumpkins and drink a bit of wine with my friends. 🎃 🥂
With the whole pandemic happening I put a pause on any unnecessary spending for about 3 months. I did this mostly to save just in case anything happened, but I’m not even sure how much I really saved because my makeup budget turned into a snack budget real fast 😂
When I saw that little pink parcel in the mail I was over the moon. What’s that song again?
🎶 Brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favourite things. 🎶 … but pink instead of brown… you get the picture lol
I did something I never usually do and had a sneak peak of my bag when Ipsy released the lpreviews. I was so happy with what I saw it definitely fuelled my anticipation.
The bag they came out with this month is so cute! I love the bright yellow colour as it immediately makes me think of summer. And the pattern is just so fun! I’ll definitely be using this to pack all my little Knick Knacks in.
I’ll start with what I was looking forward to the most, and that was the perfume Juliette Has a Gun, in the scent Vanilla Vibes.
Ipsy has never sent me a perfume that I didn’t love. They’re always such a good size sample too, it tends to last me a really long time!
The funny part is that I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect summer scent. Something light and fresh that captures the essence of summer. Then Ipsy sent me this, and I was immediately in love. It was literally the exact scent I’ve been looking for. Usually perfume is just plain overpowering for me but this is honestly just the right combination. It also just smells really good on me, like it goes well with my body chemistry… does that make sense? It’s a thing right? 😂
Anyway I 100% plan on buying a full sized bottle once I’ve gone through the sample. And that is really saying something! They always get the perfume right with me.
Honestly if you’re ever unhappy with your Ipsy bag it’s a good idea to re-do the quiz because
a) It’s just a fun quiz to take in general and
b) It will totally change your bag to what you actually want and are going to get use out of.
The other product I was most excited for was the #inmo Cosmetics Velveteen Dream Shadow in the shade Kween Bee. Starting with the packaging I was obsessed. The little illustration on the front made me think of a Sailor Moon character.
For the actual shadow, I am always drawn to gold shimmers, they look amazing on any eye colour and skin tone. Unlike other shimmery shadows, this one actually applies amazing and the brush picks it up perfectly. Hardly any fallout and true to colour. Nothing more I could want! It’ll be at the top of my giant collection of gold eyeshadows!
I was very happy to receive the Youth To The People moisturizing cream as I have never tried the brand before. Supposedly this cream is filled with a whole list of superfoods including kale. 🤔 It can be used all over your face, or as a spot treatment for under your eyes. It’s a whipped consistency so it feels light on your skin but leaves you hydrated. I’m using it mostly for my under eyes and since it’s not very heavy, nor is it scented, it feels very refreshing.
Next this in my bag was the lipstick from Real Her cosmetics.
Honestly something about miniature lipstick just makes me so happy. Most people would probably say this shade is nothing to write home about, but to me it is the exact colour that matches my natural lip perfectly. It enhances the natural colour of my lips beautifully 👄 It’s not the longest lasting formula but it feels very comfortable on the lips, as it’s not drying or too smudgy.
Lastly was the Kohl eyeliner by Sugar. I’ll start by saying I’ve never found an eyeliner pencil that has worked for me outside of Makeup Forever or Mac. Unless it’s luxury quality it tends to melt down my eyes immediately… and that’s definitely what happened here. I was looking like a member from Kiss at the end of the day and it was not working on me 😂 I will be sanitizing and putting this is my kit so it won’t be a total loss!
Well I really loved this Ipsy bag and I’m already excited for next months bag 🤩
Does anyone else get Ipsy? I want to know how you’re getting on with your June bag ?
Today I wanted to talk about my favourite fitness must haves. I feel like more than ever nowadays, there is an overwhelming sea of products for fitness and healthy living. At times it can be hard to sift through that plethora of information to find an honest and experienced answer.
So here are my 5 favourite workout goodies, and why I absolutely love them!
1. And Probably my most favorite of all is the Fitbit Versa Lite. This is a necessity for me as I LOVE keeping track of things lol. The Fitbit Versa tracks my calories burned, steps, and most importantly (for me) my heart rate. I love the colors it comes in, although I definitely would have loved it even more if it came in pink. Overall it’s a wonderful device. One of my favorite features that is the most underrated is the ‘Relax’ app. It will track your heart rate while it takes you through breathing exercises, using colors to indicate if your breathing/heart rate is in a great, good, or needs work zone. I use this quite often at any time of the day if I’m feeling anxious or stressed. It is an easy and discreet way to slip in a guided meditation.
2. I decided to fully invest in some good quality resistance bands and it improved my workout game so much! I decided to get the Peach Bands Resistance bands. I did some research looking for a Canadian fitness company and I was immediately obsessed with their bright pink and purple fitness gear. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but the bands themselves are resilient and have a great feel. They don’t roll or pinch (unless you really twist them). The weight of these bands ranges from Light (10 lbs) to Xtra Heavy (35lbs) giving a broad range of weight. If you need to have heavier resistance you can easily double up on the bands and get that weight you need without any discomfort. These bands are a slender shape making it easy to use 2 at a time. They also pair great with dumbbells or by themselves for the perfect quarantine workout. (Should I do a post on my quarantine workout?!?!)
3. Sweet Sweat Workout Enhancer. This stuff has taken my cardio from average to a full-on sweat sesh. It is a bit of an adjustment applying a product like this to your skin as it’s not supposed to soak in. The whole idea is you apply it to the surface of your skin and it makes you sweat like 5x more than normal (not an actual scientific number but you get what I’m saying 😉) You apply to slow-reacting areas or spots you want to focus on in your workout and presto, you are sweating your booty off. I find it helps me be less sore in the morning and helps my muscles be less fatigued at the time of my workout.
4. Keto Bomb Coffee Creamer. Just thinking about this makes me so excited for my morning cuppa coffee. Like I’m actually salivating a little bit 😆 Save your money you would spend on expensive ‘specialty’ coffee, and try some Keto Bomb. My favorite flavors are French Vanilla and Caramel Macchiato. The best part is enjoying the amazing flavors and knowing they are a fraction of the sugar you would normally have with a regular Starbucks coffee. Not to mention you’re giving your body the fuel it needs with Vitamins like Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. I love using my Bodum frother to top it off and making it deliciously frothy and aesthetically pleasing. ☕️ ✌️
*A a side note here….specialty coffee if fun and delicious and nothing is wrong with enjoying them! I love a PSL and nothing will hold a candle to that. The amount of sugar in a food doesn’t make it ‘good’ or ‘bad’. 😘
5. Is the most basic but makes the most sense and that is a Yoga Mat. I got my yoga mat so long ago I can’t even remember the brand 😂 But I use it every workout. Not only is it an important cushion for your body but it’s nice to have a designated area laid out for working out. I find it creates guidelines for me when I’m doing exercises. It helps me center myself and check my form.
I hope everyone is having a happy Saturday and I’d love to hear about your favorite fitness goodies you can’t live without!
Over the last 6 months, I’ve become a bit of a master traveller in the short term category. I guess a master commuter is a better term? Traveller sounds more catchy haha!
I wanted to share some tips and tricks I’ve learned while commuting every week the last 6 months. It feels crazy to say I’ve been in school for 6 months which means I’m halfway through my course! 😮
We are just starting makeup for Film and Television and it’s been an absolute blast so far. We learned how to stipple on beards and I realized how much I do look like my brother. 😂
On to my first tip, and for me it’s a huge one because I CANNOT travel without music or I will go insane.
1) Set a reminder/alarm on your phone or device to charge your iPod/iPhone and pack your headphones ahead of time. Usually, if I know I’m going to be running out the door in a hurry I will do this just in case. I always set it for a good amount of time before I leave, usually in the morning or early noon. There’s nothing worse than getting out the door with no headphones or having 2% battery on your phone. (Also if you were super adamant on not forgetting your headphones, have a spare pair that never leaves your purse) I also charge my portable battery at the same time as my phone as a backup. I just have a cheap Duracell one but it works in a pinch!
2) Bring water and Snacks.This is another thing to pack ahead of time. Every time I’ve thought ‘No it’s too heavy I’m not bringing snacks’, I’ve regretted it so fast because there I am, stomach rumbling on the bus or ferry. My favourite quick snacks are nuts, granola bars, and some chocolate. Basically, things that won’t squish easy and provide quick energy.
3) Plan ahead the best spot for your bus/train fare. I travel to Vancouver every week as some of you may know and the transit system is pretty awesome. (I know some will say different but for a small town gal like me it’s really good) We use Compass Cards, and I hate that last minute feeling of racing to the bus and racing to find my card.
4) Go for the stylish AND comfortable travel bag. I used to make rather inconvenient travel bag choices until I invested in my dream backpack. Its equal parts comfortable to wear has SO many pockets and is super fashionable. I got mine from Forever 21 (no shock there hehe) and its been all over B.C and to L.A so it’s definitely held up!
5) Invest in some handy Apps… It doesn’t take any money at all to have super handy apps on your phone. The #1 app I use is the Bus Tracker app. I think every city probably has its own version. I hate running to the bus stop only to figure out I missed it and the next one is 15 mins away. Basically, this app tells you which buses go to that stop and exactly when the bus will be there and even when the next 3 will arrive.
6) Last but not least… Investing in a couple gadgets can go a long way. For me my favourite gadget is my phone clip. I hate holding my phone for fear that someone could snatch it easy, but if it’s away I can’t, well, use it. That’s when I realized Otterbox gave me a phone clip with my case. I’ve been using it ever since and it’s changed my transit routine. I clip it to my waistline and I can have my hands free and tuck my shirt over to hide it if I need to. It makes listening to music while I walk so much more enjoyable! The other is a simple lanyard or extendable strap for your transit card (my friend from school inspired this one ☝️) Another amazing way to keep your hands free and your transit card safe and secure.
I hope this tips have been handy for you! I felt the need to share my knowledge 😂
Today I wanted to chat about a new skin care purchase of mine.
Since I’ve been going to school I’ve been exposed to so many new products and beauty brands. Along with that, I am so lucky to be surrounded by very knowledgeable people in terms of makeup, skincare and beauty in general.
The one brand that stood out as a winner for everyone was The Ordinary. I had never tried them before or even heard of them. My first assumption was that it must cost a pretty penny if it works that well for everybody and can be found in beauty boutiques. That’s where I was wrong! It is by far one of the most affordable skin care lines I’ve seen. I bought these 2 items without breaking the bank.
The item I wanted most was the Caffeine Solution. It was raved about as a holy grail for everyone so I had to see what the hype was all about. Basically how it works is: the caffeine stimulates the blood flow under your eyes reducing the darkness, and reducing any puffiness. Quite genius when you think about it, it’s like an extra shot of espresso for your under eyes. Rise and shine! ☀️
The other serum that I bought is called ‘Buffet’. The name really explains it all as it is a buffet of amazing ingredients. It’s an anti-aging serum that contains Peptides, Probiotics, Amino Acids, the list goes on! While I am still young and not needing to worry about anti-aging products yet, it also helps with many other things like the elasticity in your skin. It is a deep moisturizer containing Hyaluronic Acid, and also helps with the overall texture of your skin.
So, now we get to the really good stuff. I’ve been using it for roughly a week and a half. At first I wondered how quickly I’d see any results (if any). It’s hard when you see yourself every day, so you don’t always notice a difference. I started to notice my usual hormonal breakouts were not as bad, and the blemishes disappeared quicker. Once you apply it, you can feel it work all day/ all night. It sinks deep into the skin instead of sitting on top, or disappearing like other serums do.
The caffeine solution has done as promised and so far my under-eyes look a whole lot healthier and brighter. When allergy season hits I often get itchy swollen eyes. I have been noticing that the caffeine solutions helps reduce the swelling, and has slowly diminished the dark circles. Not only is that great for my self confidence, but it’s made wearing my contacts more comfortable which is an odd discovery!
I apply moisturizer after letting the solution sink in and it feels amazing. I read some reviews of people saying it dried out their under eye, but I haven’t found it to do that at all. I think because I do apply my moisturizers after the serum, it might help. 🤷🏼♀️😁
I was also intrigued by the style of packaging they come in. The glass dropper makes it easy to apply and the glass tip is very cold and soothing when I apply it under my eye. I’m not sure if that’s the intended purpose but that’s how I’m enjoying it. 😂
Each bottle contains a whopping 30 ml, and a little goes a very long way. In terms of price, product quality, and packaging this line of skin care is a winner.
The Caffeine Solution retails at $6.70 CAD, and Buffet at $14.80 CAD.
I would love to know if anyone else has heard of this brand? I have to credit my lovely classmates for telling me about this brand! ❤️ you ladies are a rad bunch. 😘
Last weekend was bursting with fun because I was in Vancouver celebrating my friends birthday. Not only did we indulge in fun birthday activities, but we all took a well-deserved visit to the NYX Professional Makeup store downtown.
As soon as we walked in we were greeted with the most fun/helpful/upbeat staff ever, AND it was their 1 year anniversary for the location so they had an amazing little gift with every purchase. NYX is just killin’ it in my opinion and the staff at that location are out of this world.
So I left with my very own hand-selected palette. As a makeup artist (in training) and being a bit of a newbie, this was so dang fun and I can’t wait to go back. That store is an MUA’s paradise! ❤️
The first thing I loved was that each eyeshadow came in its own adorable envelope with the names on the front.
I was trying to really plan my palette responsibly and pick colours I need and knew I’d love for sure. Also some colours I just thought were too fun to pass up.
I had so much fun swatching every colour and chatting with the lovely gals. They told me all of their favourite colours so I was sure to grab some of their recommendations too.
After swatching the shadows I was thoroughly impressed. The matte/light shadows are not chalky and are very soft. I found that finding a good wash for the eyelid is essential to a great look so I splurged on 2 great colours called ‘Immaculate’ and ‘Sin’.
Next, I was overwhelmed by the glorious shimmers. The first one that caught my eye was ‘Liquid Gold’. Boy, is that true to its name. It’s so pigmented but has minimal fallout. I felt my jaw actually drop as I swatched it in the store. The only shadow that has a slightly different formula is the bright green one called ‘Venom’. This one is still pigmented and glittery, it just seems to come off in a chunk when you swatch it like the formula was made a bit softer.
All the colours follow true with their amazing standards. There is a big difference between swatching on your hand and actual application, so I will have a full look and review up soon ❤️ I’m very excited for my gold/orange and green colours… ok I’m excited for all of them!
I have to say it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had in a makeup store, with or without the perks. I haven’t been this excited about a palette in a long time! 😊
Has anyone else ever been into a NYX Professional Makeup store?
from my perspective, March felt like the longest month to ever exist, and then April has gone by in a blink! Between school, work and everything in between I can see summer approaching quickly and I love it!
This month’s favourites are really a good mix of new products since I have been in the city and have more exciting products right at my fingertips. I can already tell next month is going to be a whopper too 😉
The first product I have been over the moon about is the Batiste Rose Gold dry shampoo. This is my saving grace during the school week when I don’t have time to wash my mane 😛 I have very thick bouncy hair yet somehow 2 days after washing the roots get super oily and everything else is fine. Therefore washing my hair becomes a super big chore and it takes ages to dry. This is where Batiste has really impressed me. When I think dry shampoo I used to thing strong scents with crusty white residue. They must have reformulated it or something because I love the limited edition scent and the texture is very light but effective. Not to mention I got completely sucked in by the pretty rose gold packaging! I’m a real sucker for rose gold hehe.
Next is the Ombra Hand Care Lotion. Something about this hand cream is perfect to me. First off its tiny making it perfect for my handbag and just the right amount to carry. Secondly, I really love the scent of it. It’s something like a very light strawberry scent 🍓 And lastly, it actually does a good job of keeping my hands hydrated. Since I’ve been in school I’m using my hands way more. They get exposed to soaps, makeup removers, the list goes on. It took a toll on my hands and working that close to someone’s face you know they see everything (including my crusty looking hands lol!) . I have to admit I was a hand lotion hater for a long time. Call me crazy but having cream on my hands always felt terrible and greasy. Yet, somehow Ombra has made a hand cream that isn’t greasy and soaks in right away. My hands felt good right after applying it, not five times after like other hand creams. Also they do not use harsh perfumes so there was no burning or redness after using it. Hallelujah!
Eau Roma water has quickly climbed its way into my favourites and becomes probably one of my top products out of all my favourites this month. I’m almost out of it, that’s how much I use it! It’s a gentle rosewater based toner and it’s helped reduce so much redness on my face. It’s very hydrating and I even give myself a little spritz to freshen up sometimes :p
(I feel like my favourites are light on the makeup this month because I’ve just been focusing so hard on getting my skin back into good condition for the summer :P)
My next favourite is another Lush item *surprise* and it’s the Ultrabland cleanser. My skin has not felt dry ever since using this delicious honey-scented and beeswax cream cleanser. I look and feel so glowy after I use it, it’s like my skin has been resuscitated! And I love how easy it is to use. Just massage into the face and wipe away with a damp cloth. Easy! No soapy, bubbly mess. Just yummy soft skin after ❤️
The 2 makeup items I have been crazy about are the Maybelline Fit Me concealer and the Colourpop Liquid lipstick in Star Crossed. The Fit Me concealer is a lifesaver during the school week. I wake up in the morning looking like a zombie and then emerge from my bathroom looking awake and bright! I can also use it for all over my face and it still feels light and natural. Having multi purpose items is a must have for me especially when packing for school!
And I have simply fallen in love with a red lip again, and Star Crossed is your classic, perfect shade of red. Not too cool toned, and not too warm either. The Colourpop formula makes it so easy to apply and stay put. I apply 2 thin layers letting it dry in between and I’m ready to tackle my day. The particular shade I have is very ‘Marilyn Monroe’ and makes me feel like a goddess 💋
I have recently tried to ease up on my social media time and concentrate more on my creativity thus making this book my favourite thing to write in during my down time. Is basically a book filled with writing prompts about life. It asks you what your first kiss was, what your childhood bedroom was like and even what your first experience with real tragedy was. It’s all about your life and is a wonderful place to keep track of all your memories and future endeavours. I got this from Indigo and I feel it’s helped me relax and expand my mind more.
Lastly, I have been reading a lot more in April. I finished ‘The Curious Incident Of the Dog in the Nighttime’ and swiftly moved into a new book. This one is called ‘Too Close to the Falls’ and it follows the life of an eccentric little girl from the ages of 5-12 years old. It is a memoir which makes it even more incredible. So far I’ve loved it, and it is so brilliant reading from a kids perspective. I can’t put it down but I don’t want to read it too quick haha! I totally recommend it. 😊
Do you guys have any favourite books or creative outlets you’ve been loving this month?
Most people call me crazy, but Sunday’s are actually one of my favourite days. Whether you wake up early (like me) or you have a lay-in, Sunday’s are just one of the calmest days. You can use it to putter or get life organized.
My favourite thing to do on Sunday (or any day, I know some of us work the weekend) is to treat myself to a face mask. Personally, after the late nights, the makeup, and lazy face washing, my skin typically needs some serious resuscitating.
I want to focus on detoxing and brightening today so my mask will include:
White clay ☁️ is the first ingredient. This is a typical base for many face masks because of how easy it is to use and it’s wonderful texture. It has a very fine consistency so it doesn’t dry out your skin, but it still softens and gently exfoliates without any harsh scrubbing. It also has wonderful purifying qualities and cleanses deeply to remove stubborn dirt and oil.
Cucumber juice! 🥒 When you see people wearing cucumber slices in the movie it isn’t just to play up the cliché of a girls spa day. Cucumber juice is amazing for reducing puffiness (hence putting them on your eyes) When you add a bit of the juice to your skin care it can also have a very soothing effect on your skin. The active vitamin in it is Vitamin C believe it or not, and the acid in it is what creates that soothing effect. Also found in cucumber is Caffeic acid and is common in many vegetables, fruits and coffee. It also helps to calm puffiness and swelling. I will slice up 3 slices and then squish the cucumber until it’s a pulp.
Lemon Juice 🍋 Another great natural acid for your skin. I’m only going to use a small amount (about 1 teaspoon) so I don’t overdo it. The acid in lemon is a great antibacterial agent as well if Tea Tree oil is too strong. I find lemon juice is more gentle for an all over use. Plus lemon is great for clearing out blackheads. For me, my chin and nose are the worst for blackheads and oily skin, and I will layer this extra on those parts.
Lavender Pods 💐 They act as a great exfoliant since they’re more chunky thank the clay. Lavender oil itself is great for healing scars and is especially great for acne scars. I
Avocado oil 🥑 I use just a few drops to soften the skin while the other amazing ingredients do their work.
Once you mix up your ingredients apply fresh to your face as soon as possible! Using fresh ingredients in your face mask means live vitamins being absorbed directly into the skin.
I leave this mask on for about 10-15 mins. You will feel the acid from the lemon juice ‘tingling’. This is it acting as a chemical exfoliant. The lemon an cucumber make this face mask smell so fresh!
While washing off the mask I massage it into my face and let the clay and lavender do their work.
Then once I wash it off I apply my moisturizer and finish my skin care routine. I feel like a brand new woman after! 😊 The next morning my skin always feels incredibly soft too.