Truth be told, I am sitting on my couch writing this while it pours with rain outside. Hot coffee in my hand it feels only suitable that I am writing about my Fall Makeup Favorites.
I recently bought the NARS Extreme Effects shadow and have fallen in love with it very quickly. It’s the perfect blend of Fall colors. I love buying from Hudsons Bay because you always receive a bunch of freebies with your order, making it that much more exciting. This time around I got a free eyeshadow primer from NARS and a whole goodie bag from Clinique!
The palette itself is just stunning. NARS is hands down one of my favorite high-end brands. The quality of the shadows are pigmented, yet apply buttery soft.
Along with my NARS eyeshadow, I’ve been obsessed with the NYX Soft matte lip creams. My go-to shades right now are Copenhagen and Stockholm. I had to re-stock these shades because I ran out of my selection from last year. I know this might be different from other opinions, but I really like how light they feel on the lips after they dry. I dont like how some liquid lipsticks feel thick and chalky. These are an absolute dream to wear.
Those colours though! Such a fall aesthetic 😍
Also I’ve been looking at Tik Tok lately… Should I use it? Am I missing out if I don’t?
I feel like it’s going to be something where I don’t like it at first, and then suddenly I’ve fallen deeply into it and totally obsessed. I am still not entirely sure how to use it.
Anyway, TGIF everyone! What are your plans this weekend?
I’m going to carve pumpkins and drink a bit of wine with my friends. 🎃 🥂
Today I wanted to talk about mental health. It is a topic I hold near and dear to my heart as it is something I tackle every day along with many, many other people. Thankfully it has become easier to talk about mental health online, and many people have bravely opened up with their own battles to help others feel less alone.
I won’t go into detail about my own mental health journey in this post, but I do want to share something with you that has helped me significantly through harder times. Journaling. Now I am not the first to discover the benefits of using a daily journal. I took inspiration from many other people to start doing it myself. I found that by starting my day with a few minutes to sort out my thoughts I could break through some of my anxious brain fog.
Most of all, I found that reflecting again at the end of the day I could observe my thoughts from a distance and without judgment. Sometimes, oddly enough, I didn’t feel quite ready to answer certain questions in my morning journal, but when I revisited them at the end of the day I felt like I had more clear answers. I also noticed that my level of anxiety in the morning was always far different than how I felt at the end of the day, and it gave me some optimism for the future!
I wanted to share with you some of my favorite questions and exrsizes for journaling all wrapped up in a cute aesthetic post!
I hope everyone is having a happy and healthy October!
With the whole pandemic happening I put a pause on any unnecessary spending for about 3 months. I did this mostly to save just in case anything happened, but I’m not even sure how much I really saved because my makeup budget turned into a snack budget real fast 😂
When I saw that little pink parcel in the mail I was over the moon. What’s that song again?
🎶 Brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favourite things. 🎶 … but pink instead of brown… you get the picture lol
I did something I never usually do and had a sneak peak of my bag when Ipsy released the lpreviews. I was so happy with what I saw it definitely fuelled my anticipation.
The bag they came out with this month is so cute! I love the bright yellow colour as it immediately makes me think of summer. And the pattern is just so fun! I’ll definitely be using this to pack all my little Knick Knacks in.
I’ll start with what I was looking forward to the most, and that was the perfume Juliette Has a Gun, in the scent Vanilla Vibes.
Ipsy has never sent me a perfume that I didn’t love. They’re always such a good size sample too, it tends to last me a really long time!
The funny part is that I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect summer scent. Something light and fresh that captures the essence of summer. Then Ipsy sent me this, and I was immediately in love. It was literally the exact scent I’ve been looking for. Usually perfume is just plain overpowering for me but this is honestly just the right combination. It also just smells really good on me, like it goes well with my body chemistry… does that make sense? It’s a thing right? 😂
Anyway I 100% plan on buying a full sized bottle once I’ve gone through the sample. And that is really saying something! They always get the perfume right with me.
Honestly if you’re ever unhappy with your Ipsy bag it’s a good idea to re-do the quiz because
a) It’s just a fun quiz to take in general and
b) It will totally change your bag to what you actually want and are going to get use out of.
The other product I was most excited for was the #inmo Cosmetics Velveteen Dream Shadow in the shade Kween Bee. Starting with the packaging I was obsessed. The little illustration on the front made me think of a Sailor Moon character.
For the actual shadow, I am always drawn to gold shimmers, they look amazing on any eye colour and skin tone. Unlike other shimmery shadows, this one actually applies amazing and the brush picks it up perfectly. Hardly any fallout and true to colour. Nothing more I could want! It’ll be at the top of my giant collection of gold eyeshadows!
I was very happy to receive the Youth To The People moisturizing cream as I have never tried the brand before. Supposedly this cream is filled with a whole list of superfoods including kale. 🤔 It can be used all over your face, or as a spot treatment for under your eyes. It’s a whipped consistency so it feels light on your skin but leaves you hydrated. I’m using it mostly for my under eyes and since it’s not very heavy, nor is it scented, it feels very refreshing.
Next this in my bag was the lipstick from Real Her cosmetics.
Honestly something about miniature lipstick just makes me so happy. Most people would probably say this shade is nothing to write home about, but to me it is the exact colour that matches my natural lip perfectly. It enhances the natural colour of my lips beautifully 👄 It’s not the longest lasting formula but it feels very comfortable on the lips, as it’s not drying or too smudgy.
Lastly was the Kohl eyeliner by Sugar. I’ll start by saying I’ve never found an eyeliner pencil that has worked for me outside of Makeup Forever or Mac. Unless it’s luxury quality it tends to melt down my eyes immediately… and that’s definitely what happened here. I was looking like a member from Kiss at the end of the day and it was not working on me 😂 I will be sanitizing and putting this is my kit so it won’t be a total loss!
Well I really loved this Ipsy bag and I’m already excited for next months bag 🤩
Does anyone else get Ipsy? I want to know how you’re getting on with your June bag ?
Oh my gosh do I have a good one for you. Just the thought of this recipe makes my mouth water 🤤
This recipe combines all of my favourite things: fresh fruit and veg, seafood and so many sauces to top them off.
The best thing about this recipe is you can mix and match with so many different veggies and toppings it will always be delicious.
When I make Tuna Poke I always make enough for two because it is one of my boyfriends absolute favourite meals. I’ve been perfecting it for a while and I think I get a little better every time.
The ingredients are:
250 grams of Ahi Tuna (however much you enjoy really) or about $10 worth.
2 cups of Prepared sushi rice or regular is good too
1 cup of bean or pea sprouts
1/2 Cucumber sliced thin
The Marinade for Tuna:
1 Tablespoon of Sesame Oil
1 Teaspoon Wasabi
A pinch of Salt and Pepper
Splash of pickled ginger juice
1 Tablespoon of chopped pickled ginger
And some assorted sauces!!! This is the fun part where you get to make a custom dressing to top your Ahi Tuna.
One of my favourite and most simple sauces is mixing a 2 to 1 ratio of wasabi and mayonnaise. Just so easy and tasty. You can mix it to your taste too if you like a more spicy Mayo, just add more wasabi.
I also use an in store Chipotle Mayo as a topping and then lots of ginger to garnish the side.
With the actual plating of the food you can display it in so many different ways. I use my handy bamboo boards but using a regular bowl and placing all your ingredients on top is just as lovely.
I tend to mix up all the ingredients when I eat it, so the display never lasts very long anyway. 😂
When I first had a Poke bowl is when I learned that healthy food can taste good, be enjoyable AND be within budget.
While we might not eat it every week it’s still a fairly budget friendly meal. Especially with the amount of takeout that is being ordered right now during this whole Pandemic, it’s been relaxing to make a really nice meal to sit and enjoy at home.
I hope this inspires you to take the time to make your own meal and sit and enjoy! There is something very therapeutic about cooking and then enjoying your own food.
Today I wanted to talk about my favourite fitness must haves. I feel like more than ever nowadays, there is an overwhelming sea of products for fitness and healthy living. At times it can be hard to sift through that plethora of information to find an honest and experienced answer.
So here are my 5 favourite workout goodies, and why I absolutely love them!
1. And Probably my most favorite of all is the Fitbit Versa Lite. This is a necessity for me as I LOVE keeping track of things lol. The Fitbit Versa tracks my calories burned, steps, and most importantly (for me) my heart rate. I love the colors it comes in, although I definitely would have loved it even more if it came in pink. Overall it’s a wonderful device. One of my favorite features that is the most underrated is the ‘Relax’ app. It will track your heart rate while it takes you through breathing exercises, using colors to indicate if your breathing/heart rate is in a great, good, or needs work zone. I use this quite often at any time of the day if I’m feeling anxious or stressed. It is an easy and discreet way to slip in a guided meditation.
2. I decided to fully invest in some good quality resistance bands and it improved my workout game so much! I decided to get the Peach Bands Resistance bands. I did some research looking for a Canadian fitness company and I was immediately obsessed with their bright pink and purple fitness gear. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but the bands themselves are resilient and have a great feel. They don’t roll or pinch (unless you really twist them). The weight of these bands ranges from Light (10 lbs) to Xtra Heavy (35lbs) giving a broad range of weight. If you need to have heavier resistance you can easily double up on the bands and get that weight you need without any discomfort. These bands are a slender shape making it easy to use 2 at a time. They also pair great with dumbbells or by themselves for the perfect quarantine workout. (Should I do a post on my quarantine workout?!?!)
3. Sweet Sweat Workout Enhancer. This stuff has taken my cardio from average to a full-on sweat sesh. It is a bit of an adjustment applying a product like this to your skin as it’s not supposed to soak in. The whole idea is you apply it to the surface of your skin and it makes you sweat like 5x more than normal (not an actual scientific number but you get what I’m saying 😉) You apply to slow-reacting areas or spots you want to focus on in your workout and presto, you are sweating your booty off. I find it helps me be less sore in the morning and helps my muscles be less fatigued at the time of my workout.
4. Keto Bomb Coffee Creamer. Just thinking about this makes me so excited for my morning cuppa coffee. Like I’m actually salivating a little bit 😆 Save your money you would spend on expensive ‘specialty’ coffee, and try some Keto Bomb. My favorite flavors are French Vanilla and Caramel Macchiato. The best part is enjoying the amazing flavors and knowing they are a fraction of the sugar you would normally have with a regular Starbucks coffee. Not to mention you’re giving your body the fuel it needs with Vitamins like Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. I love using my Bodum frother to top it off and making it deliciously frothy and aesthetically pleasing. ☕️ ✌️
*A a side note here….specialty coffee if fun and delicious and nothing is wrong with enjoying them! I love a PSL and nothing will hold a candle to that. The amount of sugar in a food doesn’t make it ‘good’ or ‘bad’. 😘
5. Is the most basic but makes the most sense and that is a Yoga Mat. I got my yoga mat so long ago I can’t even remember the brand 😂 But I use it every workout. Not only is it an important cushion for your body but it’s nice to have a designated area laid out for working out. I find it creates guidelines for me when I’m doing exercises. It helps me center myself and check my form.
I hope everyone is having a happy Saturday and I’d love to hear about your favorite fitness goodies you can’t live without!
Over the last 6 months, I’ve become a bit of a master traveller in the short term category. I guess a master commuter is a better term? Traveller sounds more catchy haha!
I wanted to share some tips and tricks I’ve learned while commuting every week the last 6 months. It feels crazy to say I’ve been in school for 6 months which means I’m halfway through my course! 😮
We are just starting makeup for Film and Television and it’s been an absolute blast so far. We learned how to stipple on beards and I realized how much I do look like my brother. 😂
On to my first tip, and for me it’s a huge one because I CANNOT travel without music or I will go insane.
1) Set a reminder/alarm on your phone or device to charge your iPod/iPhone and pack your headphones ahead of time. Usually, if I know I’m going to be running out the door in a hurry I will do this just in case. I always set it for a good amount of time before I leave, usually in the morning or early noon. There’s nothing worse than getting out the door with no headphones or having 2% battery on your phone. (Also if you were super adamant on not forgetting your headphones, have a spare pair that never leaves your purse) I also charge my portable battery at the same time as my phone as a backup. I just have a cheap Duracell one but it works in a pinch!
2) Bring water and Snacks.This is another thing to pack ahead of time. Every time I’ve thought ‘No it’s too heavy I’m not bringing snacks’, I’ve regretted it so fast because there I am, stomach rumbling on the bus or ferry. My favourite quick snacks are nuts, granola bars, and some chocolate. Basically, things that won’t squish easy and provide quick energy.
3) Plan ahead the best spot for your bus/train fare. I travel to Vancouver every week as some of you may know and the transit system is pretty awesome. (I know some will say different but for a small town gal like me it’s really good) We use Compass Cards, and I hate that last minute feeling of racing to the bus and racing to find my card.
4) Go for the stylish AND comfortable travel bag. I used to make rather inconvenient travel bag choices until I invested in my dream backpack. Its equal parts comfortable to wear has SO many pockets and is super fashionable. I got mine from Forever 21 (no shock there hehe) and its been all over B.C and to L.A so it’s definitely held up!
5) Invest in some handy Apps… It doesn’t take any money at all to have super handy apps on your phone. The #1 app I use is the Bus Tracker app. I think every city probably has its own version. I hate running to the bus stop only to figure out I missed it and the next one is 15 mins away. Basically, this app tells you which buses go to that stop and exactly when the bus will be there and even when the next 3 will arrive.
6) Last but not least… Investing in a couple gadgets can go a long way. For me my favourite gadget is my phone clip. I hate holding my phone for fear that someone could snatch it easy, but if it’s away I can’t, well, use it. That’s when I realized Otterbox gave me a phone clip with my case. I’ve been using it ever since and it’s changed my transit routine. I clip it to my waistline and I can have my hands free and tuck my shirt over to hide it if I need to. It makes listening to music while I walk so much more enjoyable! The other is a simple lanyard or extendable strap for your transit card (my friend from school inspired this one ☝️) Another amazing way to keep your hands free and your transit card safe and secure.
I hope this tips have been handy for you! I felt the need to share my knowledge 😂
I know it’s been a while since I posted. School kept me crazy busy with my Airbrushing final project and basically every waking moment I had was spent painting, or planning it. 😅
But I’m back! And ready for a fun post! I recently did a very summer themed makeup look and I really wanted to share it! It’s one of my favourite looks even for Fall because it uses lots of copper and gold eyeshadows. 😊 (not that I’m thinking about fall yet)
I know the first day of summer isn’t for another month, but today feels pretty darn close!
We are going on the first boat ride of the season today and I am so excited. 🐳
I really am a country girl at heart and going out into nature is my favourite way to unplug, relax, and find some quiet time.
I wanted to do a quick little outfit of the day since I’m wearing one of my favourite lazy-lounging outfits. Does anyone else have that? Outfits that are super comfy but dressier than sweats or PJ’s? I feel like I always go for them. 😆
I am also just realized that I’m basically dressed head to toe in H&M or Forever 21. 😅
No makeup day today. 😘
Jean Shirt: Forever 21
Pink T-shirt: H&M
Sweat Pants: Forever 21
Shoes: Denver Hayes
Watch: Fit Bit (gotta count those steps!)
Time to hit the water! 🐳🎉
If you live in Canada I hope you have a fabulous May Long Weekend 😊
And everyone else in the world have a wonderful Saturday too!