Truth be told, I am sitting on my couch writing this while it pours with rain outside. Hot coffee in my hand it feels only suitable that I am writing about my Fall Makeup Favorites.
I recently bought the NARS Extreme Effects shadow and have fallen in love with it very quickly. It’s the perfect blend of Fall colors. I love buying from Hudsons Bay because you always receive a bunch of freebies with your order, making it that much more exciting. This time around I got a free eyeshadow primer from NARS and a whole goodie bag from Clinique!
The palette itself is just stunning. NARS is hands down one of my favorite high-end brands. The quality of the shadows are pigmented, yet apply buttery soft.
Along with my NARS eyeshadow, I’ve been obsessed with the NYX Soft matte lip creams. My go-to shades right now are Copenhagen and Stockholm. I had to re-stock these shades because I ran out of my selection from last year. I know this might be different from other opinions, but I really like how light they feel on the lips after they dry. I dont like how some liquid lipsticks feel thick and chalky. These are an absolute dream to wear.
Those colours though! Such a fall aesthetic 😍
Also I’ve been looking at Tik Tok lately… Should I use it? Am I missing out if I don’t?
I feel like it’s going to be something where I don’t like it at first, and then suddenly I’ve fallen deeply into it and totally obsessed. I am still not entirely sure how to use it.
Anyway, TGIF everyone! What are your plans this weekend?
I’m going to carve pumpkins and drink a bit of wine with my friends. 🎃 🥂
With the whole pandemic happening I put a pause on any unnecessary spending for about 3 months. I did this mostly to save just in case anything happened, but I’m not even sure how much I really saved because my makeup budget turned into a snack budget real fast 😂
When I saw that little pink parcel in the mail I was over the moon. What’s that song again?
🎶 Brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favourite things. 🎶 … but pink instead of brown… you get the picture lol
I did something I never usually do and had a sneak peak of my bag when Ipsy released the lpreviews. I was so happy with what I saw it definitely fuelled my anticipation.
The bag they came out with this month is so cute! I love the bright yellow colour as it immediately makes me think of summer. And the pattern is just so fun! I’ll definitely be using this to pack all my little Knick Knacks in.
I’ll start with what I was looking forward to the most, and that was the perfume Juliette Has a Gun, in the scent Vanilla Vibes.
Ipsy has never sent me a perfume that I didn’t love. They’re always such a good size sample too, it tends to last me a really long time!
The funny part is that I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect summer scent. Something light and fresh that captures the essence of summer. Then Ipsy sent me this, and I was immediately in love. It was literally the exact scent I’ve been looking for. Usually perfume is just plain overpowering for me but this is honestly just the right combination. It also just smells really good on me, like it goes well with my body chemistry… does that make sense? It’s a thing right? 😂
Anyway I 100% plan on buying a full sized bottle once I’ve gone through the sample. And that is really saying something! They always get the perfume right with me.
Honestly if you’re ever unhappy with your Ipsy bag it’s a good idea to re-do the quiz because
a) It’s just a fun quiz to take in general and
b) It will totally change your bag to what you actually want and are going to get use out of.
The other product I was most excited for was the #inmo Cosmetics Velveteen Dream Shadow in the shade Kween Bee. Starting with the packaging I was obsessed. The little illustration on the front made me think of a Sailor Moon character.
For the actual shadow, I am always drawn to gold shimmers, they look amazing on any eye colour and skin tone. Unlike other shimmery shadows, this one actually applies amazing and the brush picks it up perfectly. Hardly any fallout and true to colour. Nothing more I could want! It’ll be at the top of my giant collection of gold eyeshadows!
I was very happy to receive the Youth To The People moisturizing cream as I have never tried the brand before. Supposedly this cream is filled with a whole list of superfoods including kale. 🤔 It can be used all over your face, or as a spot treatment for under your eyes. It’s a whipped consistency so it feels light on your skin but leaves you hydrated. I’m using it mostly for my under eyes and since it’s not very heavy, nor is it scented, it feels very refreshing.
Next this in my bag was the lipstick from Real Her cosmetics.
Honestly something about miniature lipstick just makes me so happy. Most people would probably say this shade is nothing to write home about, but to me it is the exact colour that matches my natural lip perfectly. It enhances the natural colour of my lips beautifully 👄 It’s not the longest lasting formula but it feels very comfortable on the lips, as it’s not drying or too smudgy.
Lastly was the Kohl eyeliner by Sugar. I’ll start by saying I’ve never found an eyeliner pencil that has worked for me outside of Makeup Forever or Mac. Unless it’s luxury quality it tends to melt down my eyes immediately… and that’s definitely what happened here. I was looking like a member from Kiss at the end of the day and it was not working on me 😂 I will be sanitizing and putting this is my kit so it won’t be a total loss!
Well I really loved this Ipsy bag and I’m already excited for next months bag 🤩
Does anyone else get Ipsy? I want to know how you’re getting on with your June bag ?
Today I wanted to talk about my favourite fitness must haves. I feel like more than ever nowadays, there is an overwhelming sea of products for fitness and healthy living. At times it can be hard to sift through that plethora of information to find an honest and experienced answer.
So here are my 5 favourite workout goodies, and why I absolutely love them!
1. And Probably my most favorite of all is the Fitbit Versa Lite. This is a necessity for me as I LOVE keeping track of things lol. The Fitbit Versa tracks my calories burned, steps, and most importantly (for me) my heart rate. I love the colors it comes in, although I definitely would have loved it even more if it came in pink. Overall it’s a wonderful device. One of my favorite features that is the most underrated is the ‘Relax’ app. It will track your heart rate while it takes you through breathing exercises, using colors to indicate if your breathing/heart rate is in a great, good, or needs work zone. I use this quite often at any time of the day if I’m feeling anxious or stressed. It is an easy and discreet way to slip in a guided meditation.
2. I decided to fully invest in some good quality resistance bands and it improved my workout game so much! I decided to get the Peach Bands Resistance bands. I did some research looking for a Canadian fitness company and I was immediately obsessed with their bright pink and purple fitness gear. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but the bands themselves are resilient and have a great feel. They don’t roll or pinch (unless you really twist them). The weight of these bands ranges from Light (10 lbs) to Xtra Heavy (35lbs) giving a broad range of weight. If you need to have heavier resistance you can easily double up on the bands and get that weight you need without any discomfort. These bands are a slender shape making it easy to use 2 at a time. They also pair great with dumbbells or by themselves for the perfect quarantine workout. (Should I do a post on my quarantine workout?!?!)
3. Sweet Sweat Workout Enhancer. This stuff has taken my cardio from average to a full-on sweat sesh. It is a bit of an adjustment applying a product like this to your skin as it’s not supposed to soak in. The whole idea is you apply it to the surface of your skin and it makes you sweat like 5x more than normal (not an actual scientific number but you get what I’m saying 😉) You apply to slow-reacting areas or spots you want to focus on in your workout and presto, you are sweating your booty off. I find it helps me be less sore in the morning and helps my muscles be less fatigued at the time of my workout.
4. Keto Bomb Coffee Creamer. Just thinking about this makes me so excited for my morning cuppa coffee. Like I’m actually salivating a little bit 😆 Save your money you would spend on expensive ‘specialty’ coffee, and try some Keto Bomb. My favorite flavors are French Vanilla and Caramel Macchiato. The best part is enjoying the amazing flavors and knowing they are a fraction of the sugar you would normally have with a regular Starbucks coffee. Not to mention you’re giving your body the fuel it needs with Vitamins like Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. I love using my Bodum frother to top it off and making it deliciously frothy and aesthetically pleasing. ☕️ ✌️
*A a side note here….specialty coffee if fun and delicious and nothing is wrong with enjoying them! I love a PSL and nothing will hold a candle to that. The amount of sugar in a food doesn’t make it ‘good’ or ‘bad’. 😘
5. Is the most basic but makes the most sense and that is a Yoga Mat. I got my yoga mat so long ago I can’t even remember the brand 😂 But I use it every workout. Not only is it an important cushion for your body but it’s nice to have a designated area laid out for working out. I find it creates guidelines for me when I’m doing exercises. It helps me center myself and check my form.
I hope everyone is having a happy Saturday and I’d love to hear about your favorite fitness goodies you can’t live without!
How are you doing on this fine, fabulous Friday? 😊
Today I wanted to share with you my favourite holy grail face mask. It not only removes impurities but adds antioxidants and important nutrients back into the skin.
I wanted to call it something funny like ‘Mean Greeny’, but I didn’t think it would be a very attractive title 😂 Instead I will call it the Best Detox Mask! (ever?)
For the base, I started with Bentonite Clay which is the most common ingredient in clay masks. It is a lightweight clay that is best used to rid your pores of any dirt, oil, or lingering toxins. Secondly, this clay helps with the healing of acne and can help lighten past acne scars.
Like I said this mask is all about being green! So it was a no-brainer to add Spirulina Algae to the mix. This algae, in particular, is a powerhouse of antioxidants which can reduce signs of ageing and are just important for the general well being of our skin, after all the epidermis is the largest organ we have! Spirulina algae are also filled with amino acids which help with the hydration of the skin and help with the elasticity.
If you don’t have Spirulina Algae lying around the house, Spinach can even be a good substitute since it is also high in antioxidants and vitamins.
Lastly, if you want this to be a healing mask as well as a detoxing one, adding honey can add a whole new list of benefits. Honey is best known for its antibacterial qualities making it amazing for soothing and healing acne. It also contains antioxidants that help slow the ageing of our skin, AND last but not least, gives your skin that wonderful glow afterwards.
I felt such a difference after using this face mask I would not speak about it so passionately if it didn’t help as much as it did! More amazingly I can’t believe it was (kind of) a fluke haha! I try many different recipes and some flop (very hard) and some work wonders. This just happens to be one of the lucky ones!
I also feel very strongly about using organic and ethically sourced ingredients too, so when I make my own face masks I know exactly where the ingredients are coming from, and the quality of them.
A big shout out to Oleum Vera for being an amazing organic brand that makes amazing starter kits so you can create your own face masks. (No this is not sponsored by them 😛 I wish haha!)
Let me know if you guys like more of these skincare posts, I certainly love writing them and sharing my experiences 🙂
Today I wanted to chat about a new skin care purchase of mine.
Since I’ve been going to school I’ve been exposed to so many new products and beauty brands. Along with that, I am so lucky to be surrounded by very knowledgeable people in terms of makeup, skincare and beauty in general.
The one brand that stood out as a winner for everyone was The Ordinary. I had never tried them before or even heard of them. My first assumption was that it must cost a pretty penny if it works that well for everybody and can be found in beauty boutiques. That’s where I was wrong! It is by far one of the most affordable skin care lines I’ve seen. I bought these 2 items without breaking the bank.
The item I wanted most was the Caffeine Solution. It was raved about as a holy grail for everyone so I had to see what the hype was all about. Basically how it works is: the caffeine stimulates the blood flow under your eyes reducing the darkness, and reducing any puffiness. Quite genius when you think about it, it’s like an extra shot of espresso for your under eyes. Rise and shine! ☀️
The other serum that I bought is called ‘Buffet’. The name really explains it all as it is a buffet of amazing ingredients. It’s an anti-aging serum that contains Peptides, Probiotics, Amino Acids, the list goes on! While I am still young and not needing to worry about anti-aging products yet, it also helps with many other things like the elasticity in your skin. It is a deep moisturizer containing Hyaluronic Acid, and also helps with the overall texture of your skin.
So, now we get to the really good stuff. I’ve been using it for roughly a week and a half. At first I wondered how quickly I’d see any results (if any). It’s hard when you see yourself every day, so you don’t always notice a difference. I started to notice my usual hormonal breakouts were not as bad, and the blemishes disappeared quicker. Once you apply it, you can feel it work all day/ all night. It sinks deep into the skin instead of sitting on top, or disappearing like other serums do.
The caffeine solution has done as promised and so far my under-eyes look a whole lot healthier and brighter. When allergy season hits I often get itchy swollen eyes. I have been noticing that the caffeine solutions helps reduce the swelling, and has slowly diminished the dark circles. Not only is that great for my self confidence, but it’s made wearing my contacts more comfortable which is an odd discovery!
I apply moisturizer after letting the solution sink in and it feels amazing. I read some reviews of people saying it dried out their under eye, but I haven’t found it to do that at all. I think because I do apply my moisturizers after the serum, it might help. 🤷🏼♀️😁
I was also intrigued by the style of packaging they come in. The glass dropper makes it easy to apply and the glass tip is very cold and soothing when I apply it under my eye. I’m not sure if that’s the intended purpose but that’s how I’m enjoying it. 😂
Each bottle contains a whopping 30 ml, and a little goes a very long way. In terms of price, product quality, and packaging this line of skin care is a winner.
The Caffeine Solution retails at $6.70 CAD, and Buffet at $14.80 CAD.
I would love to know if anyone else has heard of this brand? I have to credit my lovely classmates for telling me about this brand! ❤️ you ladies are a rad bunch. 😘
Last weekend was bursting with fun because I was in Vancouver celebrating my friends birthday. Not only did we indulge in fun birthday activities, but we all took a well-deserved visit to the NYX Professional Makeup store downtown.
As soon as we walked in we were greeted with the most fun/helpful/upbeat staff ever, AND it was their 1 year anniversary for the location so they had an amazing little gift with every purchase. NYX is just killin’ it in my opinion and the staff at that location are out of this world.
So I left with my very own hand-selected palette. As a makeup artist (in training) and being a bit of a newbie, this was so dang fun and I can’t wait to go back. That store is an MUA’s paradise! ❤️
The first thing I loved was that each eyeshadow came in its own adorable envelope with the names on the front.
I was trying to really plan my palette responsibly and pick colours I need and knew I’d love for sure. Also some colours I just thought were too fun to pass up.
I had so much fun swatching every colour and chatting with the lovely gals. They told me all of their favourite colours so I was sure to grab some of their recommendations too.
After swatching the shadows I was thoroughly impressed. The matte/light shadows are not chalky and are very soft. I found that finding a good wash for the eyelid is essential to a great look so I splurged on 2 great colours called ‘Immaculate’ and ‘Sin’.
Next, I was overwhelmed by the glorious shimmers. The first one that caught my eye was ‘Liquid Gold’. Boy, is that true to its name. It’s so pigmented but has minimal fallout. I felt my jaw actually drop as I swatched it in the store. The only shadow that has a slightly different formula is the bright green one called ‘Venom’. This one is still pigmented and glittery, it just seems to come off in a chunk when you swatch it like the formula was made a bit softer.
All the colours follow true with their amazing standards. There is a big difference between swatching on your hand and actual application, so I will have a full look and review up soon ❤️ I’m very excited for my gold/orange and green colours… ok I’m excited for all of them!
I have to say it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had in a makeup store, with or without the perks. I haven’t been this excited about a palette in a long time! 😊
Has anyone else ever been into a NYX Professional Makeup store?
I know I’ve been radio silent for the last few weeks (more than a month yikes) but I promise I have a very great reason why!
If the title didn’t give it away I’ve been going to school to become a makeup artist! My course is one year long, and is and jam packed with knowledge ranging from beauty and bridal to special fx and gore. I won’t mention which school but I’ll give you a hint… it’s the top Makeup School in all of Canada 🙈❤️ Okay, it’s Blanche Macdonald! (Eek! 🎉)
Here’s a little snap from first days set up! The fun thing is as you learn your own rhythm of working, this set up can change, though mine is still very similar to this 😛
I’ve been eating up every second of it and every week is a new adventure for me. My confidence grows every day and I’ve learned to just go for it and try new things every day!
Along with that I’ve been learning a lot of new lessons in life, how to deal with all sorts of people, and conquering my anxiety one day at a time. I won’t talk too much about the negative but I’ll touch down on some of the more fun trivial things I’ve leaned.
1) Invest in your skincare. This seems a bit weird to be my top tip, but just as we wear our heart on our sleeve we tend to wear our stress on our face. Whether it’s from being exposed to harsh environments in the city or stressing over a test it’s important to help ease your skin along with your emotions. Also having makeup put on and then taken off, (sometimes on again) really takes a toll on the skin 😮 I feel like every week I get one blemish gone and another pops up right after it. Thankfully my ew goodies have mostly kept it at bay.
These are a few goodies I decided to invest in. Ultrabland cleanser is a wonderfully light oil based cleanser that really lifts the dirt and leftover makeup so easily from your face. After that I use their toner (not pictured) called Eau Roma water, and spritz all over my face. Then I wipe everything off with a cotton pad or two, and boy does that get the impurities off of your face. I sometimes do a final spritz just to really soak in the skin. Eau Roma Water is a hydrating toner (no alcohol in it) so you can even spritz yourself through the day to freshen up! Then I was on a roll and returned some Lush containers and received a free face mask called ‘Oatfix‘. I chose that one specifically for sensitive skin that needed some help. 😊 I am so lucky that where I’m staying I have a Lush only a 10 min walk away! It’s such a treat!
2) Take time for yourself, anxiety can always catch up with you. I’m sure I’m not the first person whose experienced anxiety in some form and thought ‘I was doing so good why is this happening?’. Usually I say let the good times roll, but it’s important to leave time for yourself and having some bliss. This for me has meant unplugging from social media for a while and working on myself. I was so proud that I had ‘conquered 3 weeks at school with feeling no stress or anxiety’. Well that caught up to me in a big way and I’ll just say it’s taken me a week and a half to get back to feeling relatively normal. It’s hard to do things like blogging and other creative outlets that you pour yourself into when you feel yourself being unhinged. I feel tempted to write myself a letter for the future if this ever happens again and reassure myself I can get through it no matter how excruciating and impossible it seems. It’s so hard to imagine the good when you’re surrounded by negative thoughts and feelings in your head.
Anyway, this is the quote from my planner this week and I think it’s wonderfully accurate.
3) Not everything is as it seems. This is mostly for myself. Starting my program, (and even now still) I thought my skill set was ok, but I was there to learn and that was that. I love makeup so I felt a tremendous amount of pressure to do great, but I also walked in believing I wouldn’t do as good as others because my skills were not as exercised. It seems I am doing quite well in the course and this is more of a high five to myself, not bragging in any way. There were numerous makeup applications and techniques that I immediately wrote myself off as ‘doomed to fail’ and then I applied them really well! I was convinced I couldn’t do it yet there I was doing it! This months celebration was applying false lashes. I’ve never done it, there I said it. Really only once to myself but never to anyone else. I am a falsie rookie all the way. As I anxiously held the strip lash in my tweezers I had ‘you’re going to mess up’ bouncing around in my head as well as ‘please god don’t let this end up in her eyebrow somehow’. I went in, did my best, and by some miracle applied it perfectly. That small (but powerful) voice in my head was cheering in the background, knowing I could do it all along. Don’t doubt yourself before you’ve even tried.
On a positive note I’ve been reading more since going to school. It feels like reading is more relaxing now where I used to think that watching YouTube was. But now if I watch videos I tend to fall asleep haha. So my favourite book as of the moment is ‘The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time’.
I won’t go into detail but the perspective of this book is so incredibly different and refreshing I cannot get enough of it. The narrative is charming, real, and funny.
Also I’ve been giving myself little treats for my ‘accomplishments’, just like sweets and whatnot (sounds so silly but it works) And the first week I was hugely spoiled with cinnamon buns from my Aunty. They were delightful. 😋
Anyhoo, It’s been an absolute roller coaster to say the least but I feel myself getting used to my new routine, and my confidence is growing strong every day. I’ve started running again and it feels amazing and relieves so much anxiety I forgot how much I love it and need to to it. My favourite thing to do is to run down and along the beach (when it’s not raining haha)
Spring has definitely sprung despite the rain clouds moving in in the last few days!
You’ll have to forgive me for how absent I’ve been, it’s even taken me multiple times just to write this one post 😂 between school, homework, work, family and relationships there’s not a huge amount of downtime sometimes. I’m very much looking forward to the next few days as it is Easter and all the family is up and I am home!
For me to write this post, it actually feels a bit funny and momentous. I have not always been an organized person. In fact when I was in high school, and even a couple of years after I was probably the last person who would know anything about being organized. It has been a long time since then, and I have learned A LOT. In general, from growing up and having responsibilities thrust upon us, and my desire to learn and better myself, I’ve managed to have an organized lifestyle that I feel comfortable with.
For me, it is a perfect balance of focus and relaxation. It has taken a long time to realize that you can’t have control over everything, and nothing will be %100 perfect. Once you get past that you will feel better. Some people are just ‘better’ at certain things and we all have to form our own habits based on what we know we carry out easily, and what might take a bit more time.
My first tip is what I call:
For example, I absolutely hate making my bed. I love having clean sheets and it all beautifully made, but I just hate having to put the duvet cover on, put the sheets on the bed etc….
it sounds so small and petty but it’s true to my core. 😂
One habit I have started to make myself take on is that I can’t go on the internet until I get my bed done. Once those sheets are ready and dried there is no going on my phone or laptop until it’s all done from top to bottom. It’s a small thing but once I plant the idea in my head, it reinforces it to make it stronger. Then when it’s done I let myself watch whatever it is that I’ve been wanting to watch all day (usually a Zoellavloghehe) and maybe enjoy a cup of tea. It’s that moment that I can enjoy those little accomplishments, and have my reward for doing my task first.
Enjoy your Organizing.
That sounds like such an odd thing when I write it down, but in reality, it’s true. I used to hate doing any kind of organizing in my life because I felt like nothing had a place. Then I looked at different shops for materials that made organizing easier, and more fun. It doesn’t cost much to do it, simple things like file folders, wire baskets and hangers are quite cheap and easy to come by. I love looking at Indigo, Canadian Tire (it’s like Walmart), and especially the dollar store.They always have fun and affordable trinkets. Another one of my favourites places is the thrift store. I also have a love for vintage items and you can find so many cool trunks and boxes from there. This goes especially for people living in small spaces. Space-saving items will be a lifesaver too, so invest in a hollow ottoman. I have 2 and I store my winter clothes and random seasonal items in there.
It’s better to do a little than nothing at all.
I used to think ‘Oh, I don’t have enough time to clean my whole room so I won’t do it at all’. Then my room would sit for days looking like a hurricane struck more and more. That was not a good mindset at all. I started to just do one little thing every time the opportunity arose. I could throw those dirty clothes in my laundry hamper before running out to work, or take my garbage out while running out the door. Like I always say: small steps can climb mountains.
These are just some of my own tips and habits I’ve curated. By no means am I perfect though, my room still looks like a disaster sometimes and I’m very guilty of leaving things last-minute. It’s also important not to get stressed out if things don’t stay perfect.
So my last tip is:
‘Just chill’. It’s good to have a structure with your habits but it’s not worth the stress if you really can’t get something done. Sometimes life hits its peak busy level and things will get put to the side. Then, you will find a quiet day to just plug away at whatever it is you’ve needed to get done all week. There will always be spare time, sometimes we just can’t fathom it in the hectic swirl that is life.
I hope this has helped you in any way or maybe brought a smile to your face!