Hello everyone! How are you doing?
As always I like to be honest and share my trials and challenges with you guys!
I wanted to talk about working out today, and let you know that not all workouts are created equal.
Most days I cannot wait to workout, but there is the odd day I don’t. Like I know I want to but my brain is saying “yeah it’s not happening”.
I realized a large portion of my motivation came from having a gym to workout in. The music, the machines, and the atmosphere were all part of it. I felt like my at-home workouts weren’t as good as my gym workouts and lost my groove during this whole pandemic.
This is where I realized the problem wasn’t my lack of fancy gym equipment, but my commitment and mindset.
I needed some motivation and knew what app was going to help me find it…
So I took to Instagram! and this is where my first tip comes from.
- Get some inspiration from your favorite Fitspo. Now I have to stress the difference between inspiration and comparison. Do not compare your body to anyone else EVER. It is not mentally healthy, and such a hard habit to kick once you start. However, it is ok to get fired up from your favorite fitness account!
I have many fitspo accounts that I love but there are two in particular that are my go-to every day! I am inspired by the encouraging words of @rachmarieofficial and the knowledge of @cschmidt.fit. I fully believe in having an upbeat, positive feed and these two really keep the vibes high!
2. Put on that pumping playlist before you do anything. Music has the power to change your mood and blasting your favorite playlist can take a workout from ok to super in seconds.
I love to find new playlists and keep my music up to date so I never get bored. Also my cardio playlist is very different from my lifting playlist! I like different genres for different exercises. For example when I do cardio, I’m usually listening to upbeat techno or remixes, and lifting I just like and kind of Rap or Pop music from 2012 up to now.
3. Always have your weights or equipment out and handy, or easy to access. Making your workout easy to start and set up lets you focus on actually doing it. If you have to dig through your bedroom to find your sports bra, then track down your resistance bands and Pre workout, you will be exhausted before you even start. 😂
4. Have a workout plan ready. A lot of the time you might be motivated but have no plan to put that energy into. Make a workout plan that you can stick to. I know it’s hard not to get ahead of yourself and want to get the best workout possible, but you have to have realistic goals set for yourself. Ones that you can achieve without exhausting yourself for the rest of the day.
5. You can have a great home gym set up without spending too much money. Just know where to spend it… I find having good quality resistance bands is the most important for me. I was ready to melt down when my old cheap ones kept rolling up my legs during my workouts. I decided to invest in some good ones from Peach Bands and never looked back!
I hope some of these tips can help you! While I am not a personal trainer or fitspo (though I like to pretend sometimes haha) I find these tips are great for anyone staring out! I am very stubborn so I’ve had to learn what makes me want to workout on my worst days and use it against me. 😂
Other places you can be a bit cheaper and get creative at home with your weights. I kid you not, for a while I was using my jumbo box of kitty litter to do hip thrusts since it was the heaviest thing I owned!
Happy Wednesday everyone!