Hello everyone! How are you all on this beautiful day?
I admit! This might be my last non Christmas/Holiday related post for a while. 🥰
I have found that with the gloomy weather and shorter days I’ve been even more motivated to workout. Oddly enough I think it’s the lack of daylight that is letting me focus more on getting my workouts done by having less distractions. I have a lot more motivation at night to workout because it makes me feel so darn good beating those winter blues, as well as working towards my fitness goals.
So, I’ve worked out… now what to do?
I’ve created my own post-workout routine, perfect for recovering my muscles as well as my mind. 💖 I found that the key was to have a routine that was enjoyable and easy enough that I could actually do it every time I workout. Some things I don’t do every time, but you get the point. 😊
1. First things first, if I haven’t already been chugging water enough I will have a big ol glass of water 💦 I always knew that hydration was important but when you’re working out it is mandatory!
2. I will do some gentle stretching on my Yoga mat. This is also where I take some time to meditate, feel the stretch and find the rhythm of my breath and my heartbeat. Connecting with yourself after is important. I know that raised cortisol during a workout can make us more alert and potentially more stressed so it’s important to let yourself cool off after. As someone who has anxiety and high cortisol to start with, this is an important step for me.
3. Have a big meal! It’s so important to be well fuelled after your workout. Your body just used a ton of energy to jump, lift or push you through your workout. Time to give it the nutrition it needs. I always make sure I’m having a hearty meal post workout and it contains a healthy amount of protein, carbs, and fats. They are all equally important.
4. Run myself a steaming hot bath 🛁 Now I don’t do this every workout, but maybe once or twice a week I’ll have a hot bath. The heat feels amazing on my muscles and I’ll usually add some Epsom salts to help relax my sore muscles even more. While I’m relaxing I make sure to have an icy glass of water or something hydrating with me because the bath can make you feel very parched after a while.
5. Before I go relax or do whatever for the rest of the evening I make sure to give my skin a good cleanse. I always use a clay face wash and my facial sponge. I find it does the best job removing all the impurities from my skin, especially the sweat and oiled that was built up during my workout.
6. Lastly I’ll take my night time vitamins. Personally I have my vitamins and supplements split up into morning and evening so they can benefit me at the right times I need them. What I take at night is calcium, magnesium, and a supplement I take for my anxiety. These not only help my muscles relax and restore, but helps me sleep suuuuuper good at night. 😴
Just writing this post makes me excited for my next workout and post workout routine!
I hope that anyone working out, or just starting to workout find this helpful and inspiring. 💖